South African Translators’ Institute (SATI) invites suitable applicants for Bursary Programme for 2021.
Location: South Africa
The South African Translators’ Institute (SATI) is a body that was established in 1956 with the aim of promoting the interests of the translation profession in South Africa. In the context of contemporary South Africa with its 11 official languages, SATI is now also working towards the establishment of a culture of multilingualism and the development of a tradition of translation and interpreting in the South African languages. Giving practical expression to the idea of multilingualism, however, requires the use of competent and properly trained language workers such as translators and interpreters. Because SATI is concerned about the inadequate numbers of trained language workers in South Africa, it was decided to collect funds and make assistance available to a deserving translation and/or interpreting student, particularly in the previously.
The Institute will make one bursary of R10 000 available,
The SATI bursary is only available to students who are in financial need. Second-, third and fourth-year students are eligible for the SATI bursary. Successful applicants must submit an affidavit affirming that they have not been granted other bursaries or funding to cover the same expenses as those for which the SATI bursary is awarded. They will also have to prove that they have access to other funding to cover the rest of their expenses and fees for the year.
- Be enrolled at a South African tertiary institution for formal training in translation, interpreting and/or other aspects of language practice.
- Be in the second, third or fourth year of an undergraduate qualification in translation, interpreting and/or language practice.
- Have obtained an average mark of at least 65% for all subjects in language practice in their studies in 2020.
- Be South African citizens.
- Work in combinations of the official languages.
The application is sent to: email@example.com.
Closing Date: 31st March 2021